On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 19:04:59 -0400
Mehmet Belgin <mehmet.bel...@oit.gatech.edu> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> We have not upgraded our OFED stack for a very long time, and still
> running on an ancient version (1.5.4.1, yeah we know). We are now
> considering a big jump from this version to a tested and stable
> recent version and would really appreciate any suggestions from the
> community.

Some thoughts on the subject.

* Not installing an external ibstack is quite attractive imo.
  RHEL/CentOS stack (not based on any direct OFED version) works fine
  for us. It simplifies cluster maintenance (kernel updates etc.).

* If you use an external IB-stack consider the constraints it may put
  on your update plans (for example, you want to update to CentOS-7.3
  but your OFED only supports 7.2...).

* Also consider updates for the stack itself wrt. security. Upstream
  OFED has been quite good at patching security bus but they DO NOT
  maintain older releases (-> you may have to run a nightly build of
  latest). Mellanox has patched when poked at but also only for latest
  version. Intel does not seem to do security afaict and with a dist
  stack it's covered by the normal dist updates.

/Peter K