On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 16:20:42 +0000
Grigory Shamov <grigory.sha...@umanitoba.ca> wrote:

> On 2016-06-14, 3:42 AM, "users on behalf of Peter Kjellström"
> <users-boun...@open-mpi.org on behalf of c...@nsc.liu.se> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 19:04:59 -0400
> >Mehmet Belgin <mehmet.bel...@oit.gatech.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> Greetings!
> >>
> >> We have not upgraded our OFED stack for a very long time, and still
> >> running on an ancient version (1.5.4.1, yeah we know). We are now
> >> considering a big jump from this version to a tested and stable
> >> recent version and would really appreciate any suggestions from the
> >> community.
> >
> >Some thoughts on the subject.
> >
> >* Not installing an external ibstack is quite attractive imo.
> >  RHEL/CentOS stack (not based on any direct OFED version) works fine
> >  for us. It simplifies cluster maintenance (kernel updates etc.).
>

> I am curious on how Redhat stack is ³not based on any direct OFED
> version²?
> Doesn¹t Redhat just ship an old OFED build, or they do their own
> changes to it like to the kernel?

No, let's define things a bit.

OFED is a packaging of many opensource components with various
upstreams. Simplified it draws upon kernel.org/linux-rdma for kernel
side stuff and many spread out user side projects (mostly under the
openfabrics umbrella).

If you run an upstream kernel and pull+build, for example, the current
master branch of the libraries you need you're not running any form of
OFED.

OFED does (mainly) three things in my view 1) pick a set of versions
and test it together 2) backport the kernel side to popular enterprisy
kernels 3) put it all in a complete package.

Redhat does not base its ib stack on a specific OFED release.
Functionality is cherry picked and backported from upstream (kernel)
and user space packages are pulled directly for their respective places
(and updated when needed).

/Peter K