Dave,
Thank you for your detailed report and testing, that is indeed very helpful. We
will definitely have to do something.
Here is what I think would be potentially doable.

a) if we detect a Lustre file system without flock support, we can printout an
error message. Completely disabling MPI I/O is on the ompio architecture not
possible at the moment, since the Lustre component can disqualify itself, but
the generic Unix FS component would kick in in that case, and still continue
execution. To be more precise, the query function of the Lustre component has
no way to return anything than "I am interested to run" or "I am not interested
to run"

b)  I can add an MCA parameter that would allow the Lustre component to abort
execution of the job entirely. While this parameter would probably be by
default set to 'false', a system administrator could configure it to be set to
'true' an particular platform.

I will discuss this also with a couple of other people in the next couple of
days.
Thanks
Edgar