Preprocessor is fine in Fortran compilers. We’ve used in NWChem for many
years, and NWChem supports “all the compilers”.

Caveats:
- Cray dislikes recursive preprocessing logic that other compilers handle.
You won’t use this so please ignore.
- IBM XLF requires -WF,-DFOO=BAR instead of -DFOO=BAR but this is strictly
a build system issue so you can ignore.
- GCC Fortran supports classic/legacy version of CPP so you can’t use
certain things that work in C/C++ but again, this should affect you.

If all else fails, run cpp directly only Fortran source to get from foo.F
to foo.f that doesn’t have any preprocessor tokens.

Or you can do this with other text manipulation programs. MPICH auto
generates the Fortran interfaces during autogen.sh, as I recall.

Jeff

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 3:25 AM Dave Love <dave.l...@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> "Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) via users" <users@lists.open-mpi.org> writes:
>
> > Hi Dave; thanks for reporting.
> >
> > Yes, we've fixed this -- it should be included in 4.0.1.
> >
> >     https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/pull/6121
>
> Good, but I'm confused; I checked the repo before reporting it.
> [I wince at processing Fortran with cpp, though I don't know how how
> robust it is these days in GNU Fortran.]

Jeff Hammond
jeff.scie...@gmail.com
http://jeffhammond.github.io/