> On Jun 19, 2019, at 2:00 PM, John Hearns via users <users@lists.open-mpi.org>
> wrote:
>
> Noam, it may be a stupid question. Could you try running    slabtop   ss the
> program executes

The top SIZE usage is this line
   OBJS ACTIVE  USE OBJ SIZE  SLABS OBJ/SLAB CACHE SIZE NAME
5937540 5937540 100%    0.09K 141370       42    565480K kmalloc-96
which seems to be growing continuously. However, it’s much smaller than the
drop in free memory.  It gets to around 1 GB after tens of seconds (500 MB
here), but the overall free memory is dropping by about 1 GB / second, so tens
of GB over the same time.

> Also  'watch  cat /proc/meminfo'is also a good diagnostic

Other than MemFree dropping, I don’t see much. Here’s a diff, 10 seconds apart:
2,3c2,3
< MemFree:        54229400 kB
< MemAvailable:   54271804 kB
---
> MemFree:        45010772 kB
> MemAvailable:   45054200 kB
19c19
< AnonPages:      22063260 kB
---
> AnonPages:      22526300 kB
22,24c22,24
< Slab:             851380 kB
< SReclaimable:      87100 kB
< SUnreclaim:       764280 kB
---
> Slab:            1068208 kB
> SReclaimable:      89148 kB
> SUnreclaim:       979060 kB
31c31
< Committed_AS:   34976896 kB
---
> Committed_AS:   34977680 kB

MemFree has dropped by 9 GB, but as far as I can tell nothing else has
increased by anything near as much, so I don’t know where the memory is going.

                                                                        Noam

|U.S. NAVAL|
|_RESEARCH_|
LABORATORY
Noam Bernstein, Ph.D.
Center for Materials Physics and Technology
U.S. Naval Research Laboratory
T +1 202 404 8628  F +1 202 404 7546
https://www.nrl.navy.mil <https://www.nrl.navy.mil/>