I am attempting to build the latest stable version of openmpi (openmpi-4.0.3)
on Mac OS 10.15.4 using the latest intel compilers fort, icc, iclc (19.1.1.216
20200306). I am using the configuration

./configure --prefix=/opt/openmpi CC=icc CXX=icpc F77=ifort FC=ifort
--with-hwloc=internal --with-libevent=internal

My initial attempt to make opemmpi failed with the error -lhwloc not found. I
then read the FAQ on the open-mpi homepage which stated that the problem often
arises when compilers are mixed (they are not here). The FAQ also suggested
that the options --with-hwloc=internal --with-libevent=internal would force the
build process to use an internal version of hwloc. There were no other errors
in the make process so presumably the hwloc internal library was successfully
built. The error messages are reprinted below (they match the hwloc FAQ
exactly). I don’t understand how to work around the problem however and
suggestions would be welcome. I do have homebrew installed, but I would think
that the explicit options to use the internal hwlock library would avoid
referencing other libraries. Note the same problem occurs when configure is
specified with gcc-9 and gfortran (from homebrew). Thanks four your help in
advance.

amke
.
.
.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in mpi/fortran/use-mpi-f08
  FCLD     libmpi_usempif08.la
ifort: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option
'-force_load,mod/.libs/libforce_usempif08_internal_modules_to_be_built.a'
ifort: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option
'-force_load,bindings/.libs/libforce_usempif08_internal_bindings_to_be_built.a'
ifort: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option
'-force_load,../../../../ompi/mpiext/pcollreq/use-mpi-f08/.libs/libmpiext_pcollreq_usempif08.a'
ifort: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option
'-force_load,base/.libs/libusempif08_ccode.a'
ld: library not found for -lhwloc
make[1]: *** [libmpi_usempif08.la] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Paul Fons

Keio University, Faculty of Science and Technology, Department of Electronics
and Information Engineering

〒223-8522 3-14-1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 223-8522, Japan
Keio University Faculty of Science and Technology Yagami Campus.

〒223-8522 横浜市港北区日吉3-14-1 慶應義塾大学理工学部電子工学科