Gilles,

Thank you so much for the quick response!
openMPI installed by brew is compiled on gcc and gfortran using the
original compilers by Apple. Now I haven't figured out how to use this gcc
openMPI for the inversion software :(
Given by your answer, I think I'll pause for now with the M1-intel
compilers-openMPI route and switch to an intel cluster until someone
figured out the M1 chip problem ~

Thanks again for your help!
Cici