Most, if not all, modern operating systems set the CPU to sleep mode
when they don't need to be used. The problem here is that the VMs are
not running a OS but a boot loader and it does not implement this
feature so it is using all the CPU cycles doing nothing. In this
regard KVM nor OpenNebula can help.

The only tip I can give you is to use cgroups to limit the total
amount of CPU a VM can use:

http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel4.2:kvmg#working_with_cgroups_optional

Javier Fontán Muiños
Developer