I'm using Open vSwitch 1.9.3 (LTS) and latest OpenNebula stable release
on Debian Wheezy. Open vSwitch Packages are self-built and bridge
compabiltity mode is _not_ needed for simple bridging or VLAN support
(tagging/trunking).

Everything works as expected so far. The setup of OVS is very
straightforward. You may want to start from scratch with a clean OS.

Since I don't work with Ubuntu I can't give you further hints at the
moment, sorry.

Arnold

--
Arnold Bechtoldt