Turns out that you can simulate the function of the active monitoring information probes via

ssh -l oneadmin <nodename>
cd /var/tmp/one/im
./run_scripts kvm

and when I did this, I found that the problem was that my oneadmin
user was missing an extra group ID and didn't have permissions to do
any of the libvirt commands via the libvirt socket.

Steve Timm