Generally you would push to a tag (could be latest, could be "stable",
could be "dev") and then when you accepted that image you could tag it in
with "oc tag mystream:stable mystream:v1.3" to record which one was that
version.  Alternatively, every time you start a new release chain you could
start pushing to the desired tag ("v1.3") and then when you move to the
newer version start pushing a new tag.  You can then manually tag in "v1.3"
into "latest" when you are ready to deploy it.  If you are dealing with
large sets of images, you may want to move to more of a config driven
approach where you your config checked into source control and then have
your test / development flow actually test in the actual image references
into the Git repo.  There's no one right answer, but generally the more
complex you get the more effective a "treat openshift API objects as
configuration and us a configuration management tool" will be.