WRT docker, it's part of the startup check/setup process, ensuring that you
have storage for your containers locallly.
/etc/sysconfig/docker-storage-setup has several settings that makes it easy
to manage the (optional creation) and use of LVM by docker.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 2:33 PM, Patrick Hemmer <opensh...@stormcloud9.net>
wrote:

> Thanks for the info.
>
> I didn't notice that these *-storage-setup scripts were installed as part
> of the prerequisites playbook in the ansible repo. So yes, they are
> available before starting the deployment process.
>
> In the interim I had just deployed LVM manually and mounted a big volume
> onto /var/lib/containers. Is there anything that details exactly what these
> scripts are doing and why? Such as if using overlay2, why would one want to
> use these scripts instead of a self-managed LVM mounted on
> /var/lib/containers? LVM is easy, and I would think doing it manually
> provides more flexibility than a script trying to guess what you want to
> do, and is also easier to understand. Is this just meant to automate the
> LVM tasks for people who are unfamiliar with it?
>
> -Patrick
>

> On 2018/3/21 02:03, Frederic Giloux wrote:
>
> Hi Patrick
>
> on RHEL 7.4 (and probably CENTOS 7.4) look at "man
> container-storage-setup". Similar to docker-storage-setup it is a helper
> script to configure the storage used by CRI-O.
> In regard of the procedure I will second what Louis said:
> - first prepare your nodes, including storage
> - install and run your cluster
> If you need later on to extend your storage capacity you can re-run the
> script to add block devices.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frédéric
>
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 5:14 AM, Louis Santillan <lsant...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Patrick,
>>
>> First, I think you're misunderstanding the order of operations here just
>> a bit.  `docker-storage-setup` is part of the host preparation steps and
>> happens on all nodes in the cluster before running the Advanced Installer.
>> The Container and PaaS Practice's Consulting Playbooks [0] might help your
>> understanding.
>>
>> I'm not fully intimate with CRI-O's internals but It looks like there are
>> some options to set [1].  I don't see any further details on GH so I
>> suspect those details are forthcoming.
>>
>> [0] http://v1.uncontained.io/playbooks/installation/
>> [1] https://github.com/kubernetes-incubator/cri-o/blob/
>> master/docs/crio.conf.5.md

>> LOUIS P. SANTILLAN
>>
>> Architect, OPENSHIFT, MIDDLEWARE & DEVOPS
>>
>> Red Hat Consulting, <https://www.redhat.com/> Container and PaaS Practice
>>
>> lsant...@redhat.com   M: 3236334854
>> <https://red.ht/sig>
>> TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. <https://redhat.com/trusted>
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 7:53 AM, Patrick Hemmer <
>> opensh...@stormcloud9.net> wrote:
>>
>>> How are you supposed to add additional storage to the host when using
>>> the advanced installation procedure (the openshift-ansible repo)?
>>>
>>> The documentation (https://docs.openshift.com/co
>>> ntainer-platform/3.9/install_config/install/host_preparation
>>> .html#configuring-docker-storage) says that you have to use this
> [...]

Judd Maltin
T: 917-882-1270
Money rewards people who have shut down (or are born without) that part of
themselves which empathizes and is made uncomfortable by exploiting and
harming others. In a system where money rewards sociopathy and money equals
power, that means we necessarily wind up in a system that is ruled by
sociopaths.