On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 at 8:01 am, mabi <m...@protonmail.ch> wrote:

> [...]

It looks like the RPMs will eventually get the security fix according to
the other reply from Daniel Comnea. But with containers you could have a
fix within a day as opposed to waiting for new tag which still hasn’t
happened yet and it’s been more than 1 month.

> Unless you're going to be using the RedHat supported version of OpenShift,
> ie OCP, then I think the only safe option is to install OKD with Centos
> Atomic Host and the containerised version of OpenShift, ie not use the RPMs
> at all.
>

> I will stick with OKD and try out CentOS Atomic Host instead of plain
> CentOS.
>
> However, the bad news for you is that an upgrade from RPMs to
> containerised would not be simple, and you couldn't reuse your nodes
> because you'd need to switch from Centos regular to Centos Atomic Host.  It
> would probably be technically possible but not simple.  I guess you'd
> upgrade your 3.10 cluster to the vulnerable version of 3.11 via RPMs, and
> then migrate your cluster to another cluster running on Atomic Host, I'm
> guessing there is probably some way to replicate the etcd data from one
> cluster to another. But it sounds like it'd be a lot of work, and you'd
> need some pretty deep skills in etcd and openshift.
>

> As I am still trying out OKD I will simply trash my existing CentOS nodes
> and re-install them all with CentOS Atomic Host. That shouldn't be a
> problem. I just hope that installing OKD on Atomic Host is better
> documented than the installation on plain CentOS, especially in regard of
> the upgrading procedure. But If I understand correctly the upgrade
> procedure here should be simplified as everything runs inside Docker
> containers.

The upgrade procedure is the same as RPMs, however you wouldn’t need to
change the rpm repo.

https://docs.okd.io/3.11/upgrading/automated_upgrades.html

A word of warning about the next major version upgrade, v4.0, Atomic Host
support is deprecated in favour of CoreOS (which RedHat recently acquired)
however CoreOS is not supported for 3.11 so it looks like you’ll need to do
a cluster rebuild for v4.0.  But at least you’ll be able to get 3.11
patches in the meantime.

> Now I first have to figure out how to install my CentOS Atomic
> Host virtual machines automatically with PXE and kickstart. It looks like I
> just need to adapt my kickstart file for Atomic Host (rpm ostree) and I get
> Atomic Host instead of plain CentOS...
>

> On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 at 07:03, mabi <m...@protonmail.ch> wrote:

Kind Regards,

Joel Pearson
Agile Digital | Senior Software Consultant

Love Your Software™ | ABN 98 106 361 273
p: 1300 858 277 | m: 0405 417 843 <0405417843> | w: agiledigital.com.au