On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 12:13 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> I am not sure about this - there is plenty of stuff in rpmforge that
> does over write base distro pkgs. While I *know* there is a policy to
> only look at leaf nodes and tool's around the core platform - it might
> be a good idea to actually write this policy down somewhere along with a
> set of guidelines on what might be and what might not be reasonable.

I completely agree with you. The lack of a written down policy of what
we do and what we don't is a huge issue.

AFAIK, so far every packager decided on an individual basis whether he
considers a package "core" enough to not be replaced or not and this has
led to a great deal of inconsistent choices over time.

That's why when I stumbled upon this SafeRepo page awhile ago, I posted
it to the packagers list so that hopefully we can come up with a similar
policy, the core point being of no package should be replaced without
explicit user's consent.

Unfortunately no discussion actually took place and the only comment I
have received so far was one of Christoph's which I didn't really
understand. Well, I did understand what he meant to say, but this has
nothing to do with the issue of say, him replacing core Perl packages
because they are needed for something else.

If you agree that we do need a consistent policy for this, feel free to
comment on this issue.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev