Hi Rafael Guerra, et al.

Thank you for clarifying this to me - that interp1 uses not-a-knot as default. IMHO Scilab documentation should be clear about this.

>What do you mean by your result is “OK, but it's not perfect, compared to a Fortran script”?

I can try to make a snapshot ... what kind do you need? Like a difference in the resulting vector, a piece of source code ... or maybe a graph plot illustrating the difference?

Since the default acc. to your script is not-a-knot ... returning to my original question, is it true I can alter this to 'natural' cubic spline by writing:

a(:,1) = _interp1_(log(f3),a1,log(f),'spline','natural');

?

... The documentation for interp1 spline isn't clear whether 'natural' is an option for the extrapolation. The documentation in Scilab ( https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.0.0/en_US/interp1.html ) only says:

The|extrapolation|parameter sets the evaluation rule for extrapolation, i.e for|xp(i)|not in [x1,xn] interval

"extrap"

   the extrapolation is performed by the defined method.
   yp=interp1(x,y,xp,method,"extrap")

... And the documentation provides no examples of adding this "extrap" parameter to the spline fitting (or any other fitting).

???

Anyway, the Fortran code uses 'natural' cubic spline and (as mentioned) DGTTRF and DGTTRS - are there any Scilab equivalent functions? ... I might wish to try to code (exactly) the same spline functionality, just to eliminate a potential error here.

DGTTRF computes an LU factorization of a real tridiagonal matrix A
* using elimination with partial pivoting and row interchanges.

DGTTRS solves one of the systems of equations
* A*X = B or A'*X = B,
* with a tridiagonal matrix A using the LU factorization computed
* by DGTTRF.

( Source: https://www.gfd-dennou.org/arch/ruby/products/ruby-lapack/doc/dgt.html )

P.S. Sorry for the not-so-fast response time, 1) I'm thinking a lot about it, 2) I shall try not to make too many false statements ... but it's a bit difficult because I don't understand why I get the differences that I observe - and I feel a bit like I'm searching for the reason (the solution) while being blind-folded.

Best regards,
Claus