Claus,

For me the plurality is not so important - but let's say it's the wording used in all our educational books (in English) ... just dig into any Signal Analysis book, etc., and what we're trying to name here is exactly that, then it would be bad for Scilab to give it a different name. Renaming something that is universally defined otherwise is an uphill battle we cannot win.

As I implied earlier, nomenclature could hardly be right or wrong since it is mostly arbitrary. But there could be more logical or less logical choices.

When it is well established, it is also a battle that is not worth fighting, especially if there is some sort of rationale behind it.

Asymmetric window functions is new to me.I googled about window functions and found (stumbled upon):
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1260/1748-3018.9.4.389

This is another kind of asymmetry. "Periodic" window functions are only slightly asymmetric. I don't think they qualify for the kind of windows treated in that paper.

Asymmetric windows seem to be a good choice to smooth out the spectrum if phase response is not important. Scilab doesn't have any asymmetric function, but if a plan to add new windows were approved, they could be included along with several more traditional window functions currently not covered (such as Blackman, Blackman-Harris or a number of flat-tops).

Symmetric windows are used for FIR filter design. Periodic windows are used for spectrum analysis.

Regards,

Federico Miyara

Conclusion: Asymmetric window functions have a purpose. When there's asymmetric windows, then there must also be symmetric windows. Here's a short list of symmetric window functions: https://mathworld.wolfram.com/ApodizationFunction.html

Best regards,
Claus