Jarrell, Maury wrote:

Forgive me for asking what must be a very basic question.  I've searched the
Maven site and scoured the archives for this list and haven't found an
answer.

I have a simple java project defined in an Ant file.  The dependencies for
my current project are in jars in the ${basedir}/lib directory.  I've
configured Ant to include in the classpath whatever jars it finds in that
lib directory.

I'm trying to duplicate this functionality with Maven, and I've hit a
roadblock.  I have jars that don't conform to Maven's idea of a standard
name.  An example would be the mail.jar from Sun's site.  I use it.  I tried
a dependency entry in my project.xml as follows:

<dependency>
 <groupId>mail</groupID>
 <artifactId>mail</artifactId>
 <version>1.3</version>
 <jar>mail.jar</jar>
</dependency>

I tried putting the jar in ${HOME}/.maven/repository/jars, but it wasn't
found.  Then I tried to follow the format in the repository and made a
directory structure as follows:

$HOME/.maven/repository/mail/jars/mail.jar

That appears to work, but is that what Maven expects me to do for each jar
file?  This seems like a lot of work for jars that will never be downloaded
from a remote repository anyway.

This all brings me to the fact that I don't grasp the remote repository
concept.  Is there 1 remote repository and it's global to the world?  I went
to http://www.imbiblio.org/maven and looked at the repository there.  It
seems small if it's supposed to be the global parking spot for Maven
projects world-wide.

Please forgive my misunderstanding,
Maury

Hi. I don't know if this will help but if you already have a copy of the jar dependency that you need, you can override Maven trying to download it from the central repository by setting the property maven.jar.override to "on". Then you can set explicit paths of the dependency by setting the property maven.jar.{artifactID} to the path of the jar. You can place this in a project.properties file or a build.properties file.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Henry S. Isidro