The plugin.xml seems fine:
<plugin>
  <description>a plugin that defines all lifecycles for custom AGFA
plugins</description>
  <groupId>com.agfa.maven.plugins</groupId>
  <artifactId>maven-lifecycle-plugin</artifactId>
  <version>0.0.14</version>
  <goalPrefix>lifecycle</goalPrefix>
  <isolatedRealm>false</isolatedRealm>
  <inheritedByDefault>true</inheritedByDefault>
  <mojos/>
  <dependencies/>
</plugin>

The content matches what is used in the POM and the location in the repository.

The only content of this plugin is a components.xml file with
LifecycleMapping and ArtifactHandler components. It is added in my
root POM as a plugin with <extensions>true</extensions>.

I just noticed that there is also a build/extensions element
containing the maven-help-plugin mentioned in the error message. No
idea why it's there, probably just a copy/paste error.
If I remove this, everything works fine.

So everything's fine for me now, but this is still a small regression
from 2.0.x to 2.2.1.

thanks,

Tom