>    <reporting>
>        <plugins>
>            <plugin>
>                <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>                <artifactId>maven-javadoc-plugin</artifactId>
>            </plugin>
>        </plugins>
>    </reporting>
> </project>
>
> That is the only plugin specified in my pom.  The plugin that looks to be
> causing the problem is a maven plugin (the maven-project-info-reports-plugin)
> that is being used by the site build phase, but I could be wrong in my
> interpretation of the error trace in my original message.  Is there a place
> (or even a reason) that I should be placing a dependency for such a plugin
> for the site build phase?

I'm not so sure that's the plugin causing the problem (at least not
directly). the javadoc-plugin has commons-lang as a dependency.

Have a look at:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-project-info-reports-plugin/dependencies.html
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/dependencies.html

Just try to add the <dependencies> tag to the <plugin> tag in your
excerpt above.

It doesn't feel right, I know. I was under the impression maven would
have to manage these things itself, though I have seen those elements
being added. I'm farely new to maven myself so haven't done more
research on this since.