Yes, we are filtering some resources using maven-resources-plugin, but not
those
resources that are being overwriten.

I have already found a working solution.

First of all, I defined in yui compressor alternative output directory in
/target. For example /target/preassembly.
Then I defined in maven-war-plugin alternative source directory
/target/preassembly.

Here is the configuration (without irrelevant rows):
                        <plugin>
                            <configuration>
                                <webResources>
                                    <resource>
                                        <directory>
${project.build.directory}/preassembly</directory>
                                    </resource>
                                </webResources>
                            </configuration>
                        </plugin>

                      <plugin>
                        <groupId>net.sf.alchim</groupId>
                        <artifactId>yuicompressor-maven-plugin</artifactId

                        <configuration>
                                  <webappDirectory>
${project.build.directory}/preassembly</webappDirectory>
                        </configuration>
                      </plugin>

Thanks for your interest Wayne.
David Benes