Hi Paul,

had a similar situation which I temporarily this week

+) all "variable" version are expressed as properties in the M2 pom
+) wrote a little ANT script based on <regexp> task to replace the
variable with the expanded values

if this helps I can send you the script as a starting point

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl