Solved
As you may have guessed, I forgot to run the assembly step.
This added a lot of things to the jar that I had overlooked as missing after the build.

Sorry for the silly question.

On 09/06/2010 1:17 PM, Ron Wheeler wrote:
I expected the following plug-in to produce a line in the Jar manifest

Main-Class: com.artifact_software.carshistorycollector.CarsHistoryCollectorMain

<build>
<plugins>
<plugin>
<version>2.2-beta-5</version>
<configuration>
<archive>
<manifest>
<mainClass>com.artifact_software.carshistorycollector.CarsHistoryCollectorMain</mainClass>
</manifest>
</archive>
<descriptorRefs>
<descriptorRef>jar-with-dependencies</descriptorRef>
</descriptorRefs>
</configuration>
</plugin>
</plugins>
</build>

As you may have guessed, it did not. Got the jar with a nice manifest but no Main-Class line.
Manifest-Version: 1.0
Archiver-Version: Plexus Archiver
Created-By: Apache Maven
Built-By: rwheeler
Build-Jdk: 1.5.0_15

No error messages and  the rest of the Jar looks good.  Any suggestions?