Stan Devitt-2 wrote:

> Why would the recommended format here be different than the format used by
> the dependency plugin?
> (e.g.  junit:junit:jar:3.8.1:test )

I was looking more for a URN for Maven coordinates, which is slightly
different than the flattened form of <dependency> elements.  e.g. the
<scope> portion isn't part of what I'm looking for, it is more a statement
of how I rely upon it

Brian Fox-3 wrote:

> Group:artifact:version:classifier:extension is pretty common

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the differences and pros/cons of that vs.
a format listed in the Maven docs[1]

groupId:artifactId:packaging:classifier:version

The format Brian listed seems to work better when some portions are
optional.

so maybe urn:maven:groupId:artifactId:version:classifier:extension ?

[1] http://maven.apache.org/pom.html#Maven_Coordinates