Hi Roland

Asmann, Roland wrote:

[snip]

>>  > If you use toolchains, it should not matter what JRE you use to run
>> Maven,
>>  > the compiler plugin will use the toolchain you specify.
>>  >
>>  > The question you need to ask yourself is which JDK should the
>> toolchain be
>>  > driving, and I cannot answer that... if animal-sniffer says that they
>>  > are only using the public JRE api then it does not matter which JDK
>>  > you use.
>>
>> It does, if the JDK is not compatible. And this is the case for some
>> parts of JDBC 3 vs. 4 (included in Java 6).
>
> Which appears to be the case here.
>>
>>  > And if you have surefire running with both JREs then you should be
>>  > safe anyway
>>
>> If your module e.g. implements a JDBC Connector this is simply not
>> possible (see commons-dbcp as precedence).
>
> Any suggestions on how to solve this? The thing is that we really want
> to have the same version on both artifacts, since they are (more or
> less) the same.

We had the same problem for an artifact and took more or less the same
solution like dbcp: One project with two "version lines" for the release -
1.x for Java 5/JDBC 3 and 2.x for Java 6/JDBC 4. The code is the same, but
compiling with Java 5 activated a profile that did filter the source code of
the project before compiling (different source directory configured
abviously) and set a different value for the property containing the
project's version. The code filter used comments like (IIRC):

=========== %< =============
/*JDBC4**/

... code depending on JDBC 4

//*JDBC4*/

and replaced the starting comment with '/*JDBC4' and the ending comment with
'JDBC4*/' when building for Java 5. However, this filter plugin is an
internal one processing regular expressions on files, but I am quite sure
there are some freely available that can do the same (or use antrunner
plugin with an ant task).

- Jörg