On 14/12/2010 3:06 AM, fhomasp wrote:
After reading a bit of the debate I wonder a few things.  I read "stay away
from profiles" a lot but I do find them to be very useful.

So what's the alternative on profiles?  Assuming there is a modular project
with several jars, several wars and several ears.  Each of those artifacts
can be built for a different environment (development, test (1,2,3),
staging, validation,...)

Separate operations (deployment configurations) from development (code, JAR and WARs). Use JNDI or other configuration methods to set up your environments rather than code.

We use a project to hold our configurations but there is no Maven build required since we use JNDI in a single file for each of the environments that we support and have not achieved the level of complexity where a build would be helpful. When we get to automating their construction, I wonder if Ant with XSLT might be a better tool for assembling our environments than Maven.

The other 70+ projects are environment neutral and each one builds one or 2 artifacts (JARS or WARs) or contains a POM with no code. We are building a portal that runs on Tomcat with Web services, portals and standalone batch jobs. We support 2 client versions with different functionality and numerous test and development environments. We are maintaining production versions at the same time as developing one or more new versions simultaneously. We have a small team that has ranged from 3 to 5 people.

I have never used profiles but I see a lot of people get into really complex situations with lots of frustration over profiles and I have a sense that they are really easy to misuse and lead people away from simple sensible solutions to their problems.

I also see conversations from people whose opinions I respect saying that they can be useful. I have concluded that they are not a good thing to start with but may be helpful later, once the Maven environment is up and running, to optimize some functions.

Ron

Then an ear/war can be deployed using Maven to those different environments,
be it from a local machine or Hudson or some other contineous integration
tool.

How would one automate such situations without profiles and without a huge
amount of redundant maven xml?