With a structure like the following:

umbrella-module
> core-module
> optional-module-1
> optional-module-2

How can the maven pom files be configured so that a user can build:

1) either, core-module with configuration and jar files from
optional-module-1 as dependencies
2) or, core-module with configuration and jar files from
optional-module-2 as dependencies

based on what command is issued via the command line:
mvn install mod1 or mvn install mod2

I'm guessing that some sort of condition will need to be put into
place in the core-module's pom.xml file to let it know which
dependency it needs? Based on what is specified in an env variable or
on the command line? How can that condition be set up?

If there is a different / better approach to this, please let me know.

Thanks!