morty wrote:

> ... I need to use this "custom" task across different projects. Do you
> suggest that I create a full separate native maven project...

If you want to share build logic across different projects, and especially
if "you code to" (via Ant task markup in your case) the custom logic, the
logic needs to have "coordinates" (groupId, artifactId, version) so you can
reference it.

Yes, the "custom plugin/task" would be a full-blown Maven project.  It would
have its own POM, its own coordinates (groupId, artifactId, version), you
would install/deploy it just like library/consumer jars.  You could make it
a Maven plugin (probably the better choice) or an Ant task.  If you make it
an Ant task, then your consumers would need to route through antrun to use
it.

>From my experience (others may have better ideas), that is really the only
way to go in a case like this.  If the custom logic "codes to you" (put
gmaven or antrun configuration in a parent pom with a bunch of conditionals
to decide what to do), then you can probably get away with not writing a
custom plugin.