On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 6:57 PM, Kenneth Litwak <klit...@apu.edu> wrote:
> My team leader has said we use Maven, so I have to become good at it.  That
> said, I put this in my POM,
> <dependency>
>        <groupId>javax.servlet</groupId>
>        <artifactId>servlet-api</artifactId>
>        <version>${servletApiVersion}</version>
>        <scope>provided</scope>
>    </dependency>
> and Maven complained that it could not find the javax.servlet artifact.  I
> then read a page at the Maven site about downloading dependencies and then
> installing them in the local repository.

What page?  It might need to be changed, since that's not something
you normally have to do.

> So I would like to know where I am supposed to download the dependency to?
>This apparently isn't an automatic download.  Thanks.

You aren't, Maven should download it automatically.  I looked back
through the thread and I don't see the actual error message you're
getting.  Can you post that?

The <dependency> you posted looks okay, assuming you're defining that
property for the version somewhere.

I'm betting this is a connectivity problem.  Are you behind a http
proxy at work?

--
Wendy