I uploaded commons-parent POM 19-SNAPSHOT to the snapshot repo [1],
and then deleted it from my local repo (because I want to test how it
will work for others).

When I try to depend on it as a parent, i.e.

    <parent>
        <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
        <artifactId>commons-parent</artifactId>
        <version>19-SNAPSHOT</version>
    </parent>

I get the following error:

[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR

Project ID: org.home.mvnsample:mvnsample:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT

Reason: Cannot find parent: org.apache.commons:commons-parent for
project: org.home.mvnsample:mvnsample:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT for project
org.home.mvnsample:mvnsample:jar:1.0-
SNAPSHOT

Yet when the POM depends on it as a dependency, i.e.

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
      <artifactId>commons-parent</artifactId>
      <version>19-SNAPSHOT</version>
      <type>pom</type>
    </dependency>

it is downloaded without a problem.

It looks as though Maven does not check snapshot repositories for a
parent POM dependency.
Is this true, and if so is it intentional?

[1]
http://repository.apache.org/snapshots/org/apache/commons/commons-parent/19-SNAPSHOT/