I appreciate the two responses, but no one seems to be grasping what
I'm talking about.

Erase from your mind anything about %dos_env_vars% or $unix_env_vars.
My question has exactly 0 to do with env vars.

My question is about maven properties.  In a pom file I can set a
property to the value of another property by writing
<prop1>${prop2}<prop1>, or if I want to set it to the literal value
"${prop2}" I can write <prop1>$${prop2}<prop1>.  The extra $ escapes
it and keeps it from getting interpolated.

However, on the command-line, I cannot find any way to accomplish the
same thing.  If I write mvn blah -Dprop1=${prop2} Maven sets prop1 to
null.  If I write mvn blah -Dprop1=$${prop2} it sets prop1 to $null.
The only way I have found to keep it from interpolating is by
appending text.

Is this by design or a bug?  I'd say it is a bug because if it's going
to interpolate at all it ought to be consistent and should work the
same way as when inside a pom file.

Phillip