I think you mis-understand how I am suggesting you use the aggregator pom....

I am suggesting that you have a local aggregator pom one level up...
you don't need to check that pom out at all. You just use that pom
locally to group all the source you have checked out and construct a
reactor from the checkout...

Maven (at least 3.0.x) will build the modules in dependency order, not
in module order.