Snapshots of plugins are explicitly banned as are not specifying versions of
plugins and relying on maven's super pom (years ago, I got whacked with this
when the war plugin changed).

But I'm not saying I'm mirroring JUST central, I thought I was saying "I'm
mirroring every repository you could possibly need".

See my comment about the <mirrorOf>*</mirrorOf>.