I'd create a plugin that wraps your troublesome plugin with Tim Moore's awesome
mojo-executor library at https://github.com/TimMoore/mojo-executor.

I just got done using it for a Real Big Client and it works great.

Just have your plugin gracefully return with a warning when the environment is
ripe for failure.  Problem solved.

Remove the plugin when MDEP-259 is fixed.

HTH, Brian