The default auth-roles project is just an example of how to do
*simple* authentication and authorization. It only supports 3 roles:
not logged in, logged in user and administrator. For more complex
things or flexibility you'll need something like Apache Shiro, Wicket
Security (now hosted on wicket stuff), or spring security.

Some applications are a hybrid of old Spring MVC pages/insert other
framework that use [spring security|shiro]. Migrating those
applications to Wicket could leave the old pages alive, using the
spring security stuff.

Wicket being secure by default is different from having an
authorization/authentication scheme out of the box. Security
frameworks are just as encompassing as ORM frameworks. Java comes with
JDBC, so why use Hibernate?

Martijn