>  mvn --version
> + Error stacktraces are turned on.
> Maven version: 2.0.9
> Java version: 1.6.0_29

You can most likely ignore that error and just move on with life.
Basically Maven is saying "you didn't tell me what build action you
wanted me to take" which isn't entirely accurate because you were just
asking for the version, which it did provide.

You're dealing with an older Maven2 release so there may be issues
that were resolved in later M2 builds or even in M3. I would strongly
encourage you to run M3 (ideally) or Maven 2.2.1 or 2.0.11. I wouldn't
run 2.0.9 unless I had a very specific reason to do so (and "its the
only one available in my package manager" isn't a very good reason for
me).

Wayne