Hello,

I'm working on a large project that takes time to compile.  I would like to
instruct Maven to only build the jar file, but after the build I have a tar,
tar.bz2, and a zip file.  I am brand new to Maven, but have converted a
project to use Maven for the compilation of all component modules.  In
general, I want to indicate to Maven to only create me a jar with all
dependencies rolled into that jar, and nothing else.  This can be for a
particular profile, one for specific for development.  The wait is too long
when I make a small change.

So I have a parent pom that is the kind that aggregates all sub-modules.  In
any given module that I want to generate an executable jar for, I have a
section that looks like this:

    <build>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <version>${maven.assembly.plugin.version}</version>

                <configuration>
                    <descriptors>

<descriptor>../config/maven/single-jar-assembly.xml</descriptor>
                    </descriptors>
                    <archive>
                        <manifest>
                            <mainClass>com.company.MainClass</mainClass>
                        </manifest>
                    </archive>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
    </build>

The assembly starts like this:

<assembly
xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/assembly/1.1.2";

xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/assembly/1.1.2
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/assembly-1.1.2.xsd";>
    <id>all</id>
    <formats>
        <format>jar</format>
    </formats>
    <includeBaseDirectory>false</includeBaseDirectory>

I don't have any concept of a profile right now, but I want right now to
simply suppress the creation of all the extra build artifacts.  Is there a
way to do that?

Sorry if it's been asked before, but I have either not found it, or when I
did find it, I didn't understand what needed to be done.  I barely eked out
the assembly.xml that I did create.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Scott