1. Both of these tags are deprecated because they are a load of crap
and useless.

2. Here is what they mean:

  LATEST => The most recently deployed version
  RELEASE => The most recently deployed non -SNAPSHOT version

Crappy aren't they!

3. Versions-maven-plugin does not pay any heed to those two tags

4. Maven 3.x does not pay any heed to those tags

5. They were meant for <plugin>s only not regular dependencies.

-Stephen