Thanks for replying Stephen.  Inline to your inline!

Seth

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 3:42 PM, stephenconnolly [via Maven] <
ml-node+s40175n5545703...@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

> On 7 March 2012 20:59, Seth Call <[hidden
> email]<http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=5545703&i=0>>
> wrote:
> > Bad smell eh?  Ok, here's my bad smell.  Version numbers.  Stinkier?
> > Version *numbers* in source code.  More stinky than that? Version
> numbers
> > in source code for projects that are never released to the public.
> >

> You are confusing two concepts:
>
> * version names - these are the marketing numbers associated with a
> product
>
> * version numbers - these are the internal development defined version
> numbers
>
> there may be many builds each with a different version number but
> tagged with the same version name... at the end of the day, only one
> of those version numbers will be released, so that the public sees a
> 1:1 but actually behind the scenes there is a N:1

I'll try to be more clear; I think I'm just not coming across. I don't care
about the major/minor version numbers found in the maven versioning scheme
for internal projects.  If I pick a number, I have to make an effort to
coerce that into meaning something, and communicate that to the team.  No
need to do that.  Branches, however, often have meaning to people.  master
often means 'stable' in git.  'development' might be a noisier branch.  I
might make a branch per JIRA bug.  Whatever; let the team decide, ala:
http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/.   But point is,
the team would or should agree to their meaning.  Making a branch called
'abeouaeou' is also just noise; I'd discourage that, but I don't think I'd
have to.  If I *do* have to enforce branch naming, i can do it with
server-side git hooks; something that I find reasonable.

ALso, specific to your point about version numbers and version names--I'd
say *both* have no meaning to me for internal projects.

> > I care most about the development process, and much less about the
> release
> > process.  If the release process is hard, that's an OK trade-off if the
> > day-to-day development process is easy (1 release guy, 15 developers).
> > Also, I'd argue that version numbers are usually entirely artificial,
> and
> > are actually a marketing/end-user construct, and having nothing to do
> with
> > source code.
>
> That is version names you are thinking of.

(covered already, but just to be clear) I mean the major/minor versioning
described in the maven versioning scheme.
--- http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Versioning

 'Branch', 'build number', and 'locally built' are the only 3 concepts I
care about in terms of constructing a versioning scheme, and supporting the
idea of 'latest' on a branch is important too.

> > (ideally, they can be applied at a packaging phase, but having
> > nothing to do with compiling/building day-to-day).    Firefox went from
> > 'normal versioning' to a major-release-every-month because they *can*.
>  It
> > has no tie in to anything in reality other than user expectations.
> >
> > I'm a git user, and because git allows branching so easily, it allows
> > expression of version in a very developer-friendly; through their
> branch.
> >  If you are using git, every time you branch, you have just said, 'I
> made a
> > version'. And if your poms don't reflect that, then you have interesting
> > new problems arise (like a build server that tracks two branchs with the
> > same version in the pom, meaning 'last-build-of-either-branch-wins' for
> > SNAPSHOT.  That's no good, right?).
>
> Well here is the rub... say you checkout 1a2b3c4d
>
> build that... according to you that would be version
> 1a2b3c4d-SNAPSHOT? or would it be 1a2b3c4d
>
> modify some one file and don't check in... build it again... what is
> it now? it's not 1a2b3c4d because you cannot reproduce it... so it
> would have to be 1a2b3c4d-SNAPSHOT.... except it's not that either,
> because -SNAPSHOT implies it will eventually become 1a2b3c4d which it
> cannot as you are working on the next revision which is likely
> 9f8e7d6c only we cannot know that...
>
> and in git both branches and tags are completely mutable and just
> pointers... can't use them...
>
> I think you need to think about this a little more.

I don't care to have a git hash in a build artifact; sorry if that was how
I came across (I assume you are making hashes).

When I write master-234, I mean branch + build_number_from_build_server.
 If I could shoe-horn the hash in the build artifact after getting all the
rest of this to work for build-server built projects, then I will, because
it helps you correlate to build-number-to-git-hash, but it's not a
requirement.

> > To be clear, when I talk about 'version numbers', I'm not talking about
> > build numbers.
>
> Never thought you were.
>

> > So in my ultimate desired versioning scheme, I'd like to version every
> last
> > one of our projects this way, expressed as artifact names:
> >

> > Remote Repository (Artifactory, etc) would only have artifacts named:
> >
> > $company:$git-repository:$branch-$buildnumber
> > $company:$git-repository:$branch-SNAPSHOT
> >

> I suspect that you don't fully understand how git branches work... but
> I am willing to be proved wrong ;-)
>
> branch names are not canonical... I can call it anything I like on my
> side...
>
> git push -u origin trunk:master
>
> oh look locally my branch is called trunk because I don't like calling
> it master...
>
> oh look fred's local name for the master branch is called fubar
>
> totally mutable

Good point, but not an issue.  If you really want to make your own-named
branch locally correlated to a different-named branch in the origin
repository, that is a total non-issue until something else *locally* needs
to  *depend* on the artifact that is created as a result of your local
build.  When that happens, you have to now change this  project's
dependency in the downstream project.  I'd consider that acceptable,
because, if you already have to write 'master-local' in the version field
of a downstream project manually when you want to use a locally built
artifact on a particular branch, then I don't mind you having to instead
write 'mymaster-local' because I got creative with my local branch name.
 The 'changing dependency version manually' egg has already been broken in
my scheme; it doesn't matter to what extent it's broken to me.

> example:
> > acme:project-A:master-234
> > acme:project-A:master-SNAPSHOT
> > acme:project-B:master-100
> > acme:project-B:master-SNAPSHOT
> >
> > Local Repository would only have artifacts named:
> > $company:$git-repository:$branch-local
> >
> > example:
> > acme:project-A:master-local
> > acme:project-B:master-local
> >

> > Now how would I use this scheme?
> >
> > Usage 1) I'm a project-B developer, and I *haven't checked* out
> project-A.
> > I don't want to force developers to check out code that I don't need to
> > complete a task.  Project-B depends on project-A.  Most of the time, I
> want
> > my dependency to look like this:
> >
> > <dependency>
> > <groupId>acme</groupId>
> > <artifactId>project-A</artifactId>
> > <version>master-SNAPSHOT</version>
> > </dependency>
> >
> > translation: whatever the latest build on master is, I want it from the
> > remote repository.  I want to have project-B float forward with
> project-A,
> > and I don't want to actively maintain that relationship.
> >
> > Usage 2) If I want to use a particular build:
> > <version>master-234</version>
>
> git tags do not increase as they are hashes, so you cannot use the
> hash to determine sequencing.

That  -234 is a build-server originated number, not git hash.  I don't want
developer machines to ever make build-number containing artifacts for any
reason.  The build server is the only source of that.  It will be always
increasing. Or had better! :)