Yes, Starting/stopping
Deploying to an instance (whatever that means)

The most important thing I was thinking of is testing. That means testing a
web application with apache httpd and selenium. Testing a web app that
requires mod_rewrite won't work at the moment because tomcat and jetty are
not aware of .htaccess and mod_rewrite and therefor the requests will not
be redirected to the correct php/perl/cgi scripts. Having a web.xml with
servlet mappings that are similar to the .htaccess rewrite rules for only
supporting maven tests sounds not good for me.

Am I wrong? Maybe there is another solution I do not see at the moment.