With one of my latest commits for the maven-release-plugin I've added an extra AbstractMojo layer, which should contain all scm-related parameters.

Main reason is the update-versions goal [1]
It says: ... without making other modifications to the SCM such as tagging.
All scm-related won't be used and cause a lot of confusion.
So first improvements have recently been committed, but there's still room for more.

Robert

[1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/update-versions-mojo.html