"Anything else than pure numbers is a candidate to be broken somehow."
yes

Maven defines some qualifiers: see [1] for exact list (notice the synonyms,
even
for the release, that can be "ga" or "final")
I chose the qualifiers from what I could see that didn't have multiple
interpretations: yes, MR is not a good candidate

Even the "a" and "b" qualifiers, which are actually synonyms for "alpha" and
"beta", are sometimes used for maintenance release: well known example is
javax.transaction 1.0.1B which is not a beta but maintenance release
But the choice was to ignore such exceptions and support "a" and "b" for alpha
and beta shortcuts

Regards,

Hervé

[1]