I agree with Richard, as they exist now in maven version ranges can be used
very effectively. I'm happy to post example projects if you want to know
how to do it.

If you want 'repeatability' then ranges might not be for you but if you
want determinism and releasability then ranges are for you.

Its just a matter of having good process and leveraging the tools to there
greatest effect, rather than trying to make the tool perfect.