When you say
"Now I wonder which way to go so as to have a few DAO methods specific to each database server." do you mean that you have different methods for different databases or same methods that execute different SQL?

I was thinking that it is the latter and if so I think you can't avoid having the configuration. It's only a matter of where the configuration is at. Another way could be that you have the sql externalized and inject that based on the configuration.

br,
Samuli