The point I am making is that you should check the reactor list *FIRST* and
if not there *ONLY THEN* do you go and build the project. The Maven build
itself may have modified the pom files that are in the reactor during the
course of the build (not encouraged but possible... I've heard of people
doing crazy stuff with my versions-m-p) in which case the files on disk
differ from the in-memory model that the build is working from and you will
generate inconsistent results.

Trust me, if you want a stable build and to write a good plugin, resolve
from the reactor if available first