Have you taken a look at the Maven Release Plugin? It seems to do exactly
what you want.

In short:

1) Update the version in your pom to a stable version
2) Check in updated pom(s).
3) Label/tag the SCM with your current revision
4) Change the version in your pom to the next unstable version
5) Check in

Voila, stable label and ready for next release.

Hth,

Nick Stolwijk

~~~ Try to leave this world a little better than you found it and, when
your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you
have not wasted your time but have done your best ~~~

Lord Baden-Powell

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 8:59 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com