> The build.xml file is part of the Dojo distribution.  I would like to
> avoid modifying their files as Dojo is being updated all the time.  So

I strongly doubt their build.xml file is "being updated all the time."
I would just edit this one spot and then keep an eye for changes to
this file so you can merge them in.

> ideally I would like to be able to somehow pass the override value from
> Maven since I own that pom.xml file.  So that is my question.  How do I do
> that?  If I was running Ant directly I would just pass the value in the
> command line.  I have not been able to figure out how to do that in Maven.

If these links don't help (found with a simple Google search), then
what you want to do is probably not possible:
http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/M2-how-to-pass-maven-properties-to-ant-build-using-antrun-td81538.html
http://books.sonatype.com/mcookbook/reference/ch04s03.html
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Antrun+Plugin
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4040778/parent-properties-inside-maven-antrun-plugin