I think there are some little inconsistencies in vocabulary, causing wrong
analysis

there are 3 lifecycles: default, clean and site [1]

and packaging selects default plugin bindings for default lifecycle [2]

For the moment, I didn't dig sufficiently into everything to have every answers
and really do what I will explain, but IIUC, if you define a new phase in a new
lifecycle, you should be able to inject a new lifecycle completely independent
from packaging
then plugin bindings can either be defined in the lifecycle, like it is done in
site and clean lifecycles, or by packaging, like it is done with default
lifecycle

this analysis is for the moment theoretical, based on conclusion I made while
documenting lifecycles and plugin bindigs, but seems rather logical (and
contrary to what we understand from historical ways of taliking of lifecycle
when we talk about default plugin bindings, probably because clean and site
lifecycles come directly with their plugin bindings)

Regards,

Hervé

[1] http://maven.apache.org/ref/3-LATEST/maven-core/lifecycles.html

[2] http://maven.apache.org/ref/3-LATEST/maven-core/default-bindings.html