Le vendredi 2 août 2013 10:08:42 Curtis Rueden a écrit :
> True, and it is good to warn about this. However, ultimately I think Git is
> a better choice (than SVN) because it often makes code review much easier.
I didn't use gerrit nor have seen anybody using it. But I hear about it more
and more often as an argument why it makes git better than svn (even if I read
that gerrit is a fork of rietveld, which is the same for subversion: but
nobody even talks about it, don't know why).
Is this pure theory? a dream? a reality for a minority of experts, talking
about it loudly but no mere mortal can use it?
(intentional provocational tone to motivate people who know to show me the
direction to the light :) )

> If a new feature is properly developed on a topic branch with commits
> squashed, rewritten and organized as needed, the history can be laid out in
> a very easy-to-understand manner: new features and bugfixes done in
> properly isolated commits, unit tests added immediately thereafter, etc.
yes, with git, you can: with git, so much things can be done.
But once again, I didn't see anybody do it, because it's a lot of work.
And it requires to be a git black belt.
For the moment, just making a rebase before merging a branch seems hard for us
mere mortals.

> If
> a commit is too large or conflates many different changes, Git provides the
> tools to split up that work for rereview.
>
> Again, thanks for writing this.
+1
I like it too

Regards,