On 13 November 2013 15:20, James Green <james.mk.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I love the FAQ entry that states that it is intended for running
> integration tests.
>
> The next entry should read: What do you call an integration test?

Any test that takes more than 1 second to run is *not* a unit test.

Most tests that take more than 50ms to run are *not* unit tests... but
there can be some exceptions

If a unit test needs to call out to other systems, it will typically use a
mock.

If your test is actually calling out to other systems (which could be code
from a dependency, etc - i.e. not just a TCP socket, could be a call within
JVM) then it is testing the integration of those two parts... therefore it
is not a unit test.

There is no hard and fast rule as to where the transition occurs... but we
know that tests who's execution time is greater than 1 second are not unit
tests... and hence are integration tests...

HTH