James, see my response. It sounds to me like you may need to use
Failsafe- particularly if you need to deploy your artifact to your
application server and access system resources. If you are doing
simple HTTP requests and want to set it up as a unit test- my advise
if capture a response and save it- then create a mock out of that. If
you need to run a test which depends on the current state of the
external resource- it may be a better idea to think of it in terms of
integration. Again though, i completely depends on what you are
testing for and what effects you expect from the change in state. (A
test which grabs a webpage and scrapes off the title and manipulates
it somehow- can easily be treated in terms of a unit test if you set
it up properly.... though some might feel that is an abuse of the
idea.)